1. Cleanse your crystals: This may be an obvious one but also an easy one to forget. You want to make sure that the information you are receiving from that Crystal is in fact from the Crystal and not from someone else who was using it/handling it.
2. Work with one Crystal at a time: When you start buying crystals it's easy to go on a frenzy and work with all of them. However if you are a beginner to meditating with crystals then it's best to work with one Crystal at a time to gain the most effective experience with it.
3. Leave expectations at the door: When I was new to crystals people would tell me, "I feel this__!" Or "I see this__" or "the crystal says this to me___". So I would get confused about what I was doing wrong because I expected to hear something or see something but I didn't. In fact, I was receiving a lot of information empathically (feeling/sensing) that I completely overlooked because I expected to receive information in the form of words or psychic image. We all process intuitive information different ways because we all are very different and we each have psychic capabilities that are automatically stronger than others. I learned that my primary psychic capability is clairsentience which is "feeling" but you can be claircognizant which means "knowing" or clairvoyant "seeing" or Clairaudient which is "hearing". Another expectation I see a lot is when someone meditates with a Crystal and doesn't receive the information they expected because of the book they read which said what that Crystal was for. I like using these books to compare and contrast but we all receive different information from a Crystal differently and don't think that you did something wrong if your meditative experience didn't match what the book says. Trust yourself and your intuition.
4. Don't push away thoughts: (this is more for meditation in particular but it works for Crystal meditations as well) Ever hear the saying, "What you resist persists"? Instead of trying to push away your thoughts just acknowledge that they are there and that it's your choice to make whether you give them your attention or not. You can tell your thoughts, "I am acknowledging that you are here but I choose to spend this time quietly with my crystal. Thank you.". This also leads into another tip that useful for meditations in general. Consistent 15 minute meditations is better than trying to meditate for an hour inconsistently. If you meditate consistently at the same time every day then your body and mind will prepare itself to meditate.
5. Use your senses to bring your attention to your Crystal: This process is good if you want to direct all your focus on the Crystal during the meditation. Every second of the day we are taking in billions of bits of information that's not all processed by our brain as conscious awareness. By directing our sense of touch, sound, sight and even smell to our Crystal we will literally be directing much more of our brains processing on this Crystal. In the Guided Crystal meditation I walk you through this process. There are also other guided meditation techniques available at my blog"How to meditate with crystals" .